Our Commitment to Your Privacy
If you cannot, or will not, provide us with the personal information we reasonably require, we may be unable to provide you with the information, goods or services you have requested.
“Personal Data” is information or pieces of information that could allow you to be identified, such as for example:
- Name and contact details (e.g. postal and email address, telephone number)
- Profile information (e.g. user name, profile picture or social media account ID)
- Country of residence
- Birth date
- Technical information, e.g. screen name, IP address, browser and device data, information collected through cookies, pixel tags and other technologies, server log file data, app usage data and location data
- Preferences (e.g. shopping and browsing habits, preferred educational courses)
- Company or school name and address
- Credit and debit card number and/or chequing account and routing numbers
- Passport number and/or other ID numbers (e.g. student number)
- Medical condition (e.g. allergies or illness)
How do we collect Personal Data?
We collect Personal Data in a variety of ways:
- Directly from you: Information is collected directly from you, either by you providing the information directly to us or you acting in a manner that provides us with the information, for example:
- Offline: We collect Personal Data from you offline, for example when you contact customer service, enroll in a product or service or provide information to us in writing.
- Online: We collect your Personal Data through the EF Products, for example when you sign up for a newsletter or a brochure or enroll in or use a product or service. We also collect Personal Data:
Analytics and Customization Cookies
Analytics cookies allow us to collect data relating to your use of the Site to improve the performance and design of the Site and our services. For these purposes, analytics cookies collect information about your device type, operating system type, browser type, domain, other system settings, IP-address, referring URLs, information on actions taken on the Site and the dates and times of your visits, as well as the language your system uses and the country and time zone in which your device is located. Lytics cookies also collect details of your behavioral patterns upon visiting our website pages. Analytics cookies include “persistent” cookies that expire after two years. You can block or delete them by changing your browser settings.
These cookies are provided by our third-party analytics providers, Google Analytics and Lytics Inc.
The information obtained through these third-party cookies will be disclosed to or collected directly by these third-party service providers.
For more information about Google’s cookie use, please click the following link: Google Analytics.
For more information about Lytics’ cookie use, please client the following link: https://www.getlytics.com/privacy
Although most internet browsers are initially set up to automatically accept cookies, most internet browsers allow you to change the settings to block cookies or to alert you when cookies are being sent to your device.
You may refuse, accept or remove cookies from the Site at any time by activating or accessing the setting on your browser. Information about the procedure to follow to enable, disable or remove cookies can be found on your Internet browser provider’s website via your help screen.
Please be aware that if cookies are disabled or removed, not all features of the Site may operate as intended, for example, the complete online reservation process can only be accessed if you accept cookies.
If you use different devices to view and access the Sites (e.g. your computer, smartphone, tablet etc) you will need to ensure that each browser on each device is adjusted to suit your cookie preferences.
If you want to clean out all cookies left behind by the websites you have visited, here are links where you can download three programs that clean out tracking cookies:
- Through your use of a mobile application. When you download and use one of our mobile applications, and to the extent allowed by your privacy settings in the application, we track and collect mobile application usage data, such as the date and time the mobile application on your device accessed our servers and what information and files have been downloaded to the mobile application based on your device number.
- Through your device. Provided that you have enabled that function on your device, we collect the physical location of it to provide you with personalized location-based services and content. Read more about such services under “How do we use Personal Data?”
- Through links. We track and collect information about how users interact with links across products and services, including through email and links made available through third party services.
- Through browsing our sites. We may also collect information about your use of our services through your browser to trace activity on our sites, such as your Media Access Control (MAC) address, computer type (Windows or Macintosh), screen resolution, operating system name and version, device manufacturer and model, language, Internet browser type and version, service provider, and the name and version of the EF Product you are using. In addition, an IP Address is identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever you visit the EF Products, along with the time of the visit and the page(s) that were visited.
- From our corporate affiliates, business partners, assistance providers or claim handlers. We may receive Personal Data from other parties in conjunction with your program, including:
- Our corporate affiliates, such as the local EF company that promotes the sales of our services and offers customer service in your country of residence and provides us with the Personal Data that is needed to come to an agreement with you on your order, or the school in your country of destination that provides some of the services that you have ordered, or the Swiss principal company that is located in Switzerland and is responsible for the performance of the contract with you for any of EF’s offers.
- Business partners, such as local sales agents that promote the sales of our services in your country of residence.
- Claims handlers who receive information about your insurance claims in case of an insurance situation.
How do we use Personal Data?
- Your Personal Data will be processed by EF for the purposes of completing your booking, providing you with the products and services that you have ordered (including travel insurance coverage), for customer service, administrative services or as otherwise necessary to perform the contract between you and us or as further described in this policy.
- We may also use Personal Data:
- For statistical purposes, calculating usage levels, and helping diagnose server problems with the EF Products as well as to ensure that the EF Products function properly.
- To allow you to participate on message boards, chat, profile pages and blogs and use other services enabling you to post information and materials. We will protect your privacy to the best of our ability by monitoring the sessions, but always keep in mind that when you are in a public forum, you control the information you disclose and should be careful when distributing your Personal Data in this manner.
- To analyse and improve our offers by identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns and tailoring the EF Products experience and content based on your past activities on the EF Products. For example, depending on what EF Product you have searched for on our website, or in previous browsing, the offer presented to you on the EF Products may be limited to a specific tour, geography or budget.
- To provide you with personalized location-based services and content through the use of your device’s physical location. For example, you will be redirected to the local EF website in your language if your device indicates that you are browsing from that country, or you may be suggested the nearest EF office to your location for visits or information.
- We use the information you provide about someone else only to confirm message delivery for “refer a teacher” or “email a page” function. We do not share this information with outside parties except to the extent necessary to confirm that message. Information you provide to us to create a message is only used for that purpose, and it is only disclosed to the recipient.
- We use return email addresses to answer the email we receive. Such addresses are not used for any other purpose and are not shared with outside parties.
- You can indicate that you would like to receive our catalogue, as well as updates on our new products and services. Information you submit on our website will not be used for these purposes unless you request these services. To respect the privacy of our users, we provide the opportunity to opt-out of types of communications. If you would like to be removed from the mailing list please email [email protected].
- While applying for contests online, you will be able to indicate whether you wish to receive promotional emails. You may remove your email address from our mailing list at any time by contacting us at [email protected] or 1-800-387-1460.
- Finally, we never use or share the personally identifying information provided to us online in ways unrelated to the ones described above without also providing you an opportunity to opt out or otherwise prohibit such unrelated uses.
How do we share Personal Data?
- We share your Personal Data with our corporate affiliates, business partners and service providers both within and outside the U.S. and Canada:
- Our corporate affiliates are for example a local EF company that promotes the sales of our services and offers customer service in your country of residence, or in your destination country that provides some of the services that you have ordered, or one of the principal companies that is offering another of EF’s program.
- Business partners are for example local sales agents that promote the sales of our services in your country of residence; transportation or accommodation providers in your destination country; or course leaders, activity leaders or other contractors for management of any of our programs; or a travel insurance company that prepares the travel insurance for you.
- Service providers, such as providers of IT systems, for example for managing customer relations or payments; or providers of software and services for digital marketing automation and analytics.
- We have put appropriate safeguards in place for transfers of your Personal Data outside Canada or the U.S., including the standard data protection clauses adopted by the European Commission for any transfers of Personal Data to the EEA/Switzerland, available at http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX%3A32004D0915 and http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/en/TXT/?uri=CELEX%3A32010D0087. The standards adopted by Canada are available at www.priv.gc.ca.
- We also share Personal Data as we believe to be necessary: (a) under applicable law; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions or a contract; (e) to protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you or others; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
EF TEXT MESSAGE TERMS AND CONDITIONSBy enrolling on an EF Educational Tour, you consent to receive SMS or MMS text messages from EF Institute for Cultural Exchange, Ltd. O/A EF Educational Tours, and you represent that you are the owner, subscriber or customary user of the phone number you provided to EF Educational Tours. You (or your parent or legal guardian if you are a minor under any other applicable law) expressly consent to the following terms and conditions.
Consent to Receive Text Messages. You consent to receive approximately 2 SMS or MMS text messages per month from EF Educational Tours or its affiliates to the phone number that you provided to EF Educational Tours. You acknowledge and understand that these text messages may or may not contain marketing content and may be sent or generated using an automatic telephone dialing system (a/k/a an “autodialer”) or other technology. Message and data rates may apply. You understand that your consent to receive text messages is not required to make any purchase from EF Educational Tours.
Opt-Out. You may opt-out and withdraw your consent at any time by replying STOP to any EF Educational Tours text message or by contacting EF Educational Tours by the phone or email address provided below. In the event that you are no longer the subscriber to or otherwise stop using the provided phone number, you agree to either (i) opt-out by replying “STOP” to an EF Educational Tours text message; or (ii) notify EF Educational Tours through an email to [email protected] containing your former phone number so that EF can identify it and remove it from its list of text message subscribers.
Supported Carriers. Supported carriers may change from time to time, but currently include: Rogers, TELUS Mobility, Bell, Virgin Mobile Canada, Fido, Freedom Mobile, Videotron, Koodo, Aliant Mobility, Mobilicity, MTS Mobility, Primus, Shaw Mobile.
We use appropriate organizational, technical and administrative measures to keep the Personal Data under our control accurate and up-to-date, as well as to protect the Personal Data against unauthorized or unlawful processing and the accidental loss, destruction or damage of the Personal Data.
UNSUBSCRIBE FROM EMAIL OR OTHER ELECTRONIC MARKETING
To respect the privacy of our users, you may choose not to receive commercial emails and/or other electronic messages from us by following the unsubscribe instructions contained in the commercial emails and/or other electronic messages we send you. Please note that even if you unsubscribe from commercial email and/or other electronic messages, we may still send you email and/or other electronic messages regarding your account and your transactions.
THIRD PARTY SITES
IF YOU ARE A MINOR
If you are a minor, you should review this text together with your parent or guardian to make sure you both understand them. We are not responsible for checking your age but sometimes we still do verification checks. If a parent or guardian becomes aware that his or her child has provided us with Personal Information without their consent, he or she should contact us. If we learn that you are a minor and that we have collected information about you without consent from your parent or guardian, we will delete the information as soon as possible and you will not be able to use EF Products.
HOW LONG DO WE STORE PERSONAL DATA?
We will only keep your Personal Data for as long as it is necessary for the purposes for which it has been collected or in accordance with time limits stipulated by law and market practice, unless further retention is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation or for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims or unless a specific time period has been communicated.
We will keep limited parts of your Personal Data which are necessary for marketing purposes until you withdraw your consent, but in no event for longer than 10 years after your last completed service or delivery of product.
You have a right to, once per calendar year, contact us and without cost find out which information about you that is being used. You have a right to receive your personal data in a readable format. You have the right to, at any time, withdraw your consent or object to us using your Personal Data for direct marketing purposes and you may at any time request that the use of your personal data is restricted or that we shall delete your personal data to the fullest extent required by law. Note however that a restriction or deletion could mean that we are not able to provide you with information, services or products as you have requested. Upon your request, we are also obliged to correct personal data about you that is incorrect, incomplete or misleading.