In eight countries around the world, Free the Children works alongside the people who struggle against poverty, hunger, exploitation and disease every day. The Adopt a Village model is not a temporary relief for these struggles—it’s a sustainable movement that becomes operated by the local community for continued development. With this cutting-edge approach to create ongoing change through the empowerment of whole communities, Free The Children is responsible for over 650 schools that educate 55,000 children a day.
Watch one student's transformative journey
- Education—Working to keep educational facilities and values alive is the single most effective tool any community has to breaking the cycle of poverty.
- Health—Our programs focus on health education and preventative care, allowing children to remain healthy and able to go to school.
- Alternative income—Ensuring long-term solutions to economic challenges is the best way to generate sustainable income for generations to come.
- Food security—Securing an adequate amount of healthy, nutritious food is at the heart of every community’s livelihood and prosperity.
- Clean water and sanitation—Providing clean water sources and facilities is the most direct way to supply this basic human right.